Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dynamic Life

Perhaps my life is just dynamic at the moment - i never keep still. Getting into a full-time position, I m now looking toward my next set of goals~ Yesterday I attended a HACC funded short course - motivational interviewing. It was interesting, kind of complicated to understand yet with the range of activities, I kind of learning bits & pieces from the day program. I do feel the importance of continued education or professional development. Upgrading myself always makes me feel good. This MI concept does help me understand more about counselling during dietetic consultations, pivoting my focus more to the client which i undoubtedly constantly aim for. How interesting it is that the similar materials were once taught in uni, while i had not started clinical placements. The concept of stages of change was reintroduced into my mind once again yesterday, but this time i realised how some of my clients fit right into the different stages. Having experience to draw on makes the difference, but it is interesting to realise i have actually forgotten that concept i have learned & failing to apply the theory before yesterday. Oh well, after the Day 2 next wednesday, i hope i ll be equiped with new skills to facilitate behavioural changes in my clients~!

Anyway, today I met up with Anne gu gu for the start of my APD mentoring program. The program itself does require reflection from different angles. The 2-hour catch-up plus meeting was fruitful in setting my goals for this initial year of my career. We have worked out a plan of actions to undertake in the upcoming 26 weeks or more~ But honestly reflecting my work so far, i do see holes & gaps & of course opportunities to improve!

Now i feel like a bull, charging ahead, hopefully in the "right" direction!! And becoming a better me! It is the importance of these professional DEVELOPMENT... :)

PS. Recently saw an entry on Grace's blog, she commented on my "passion" in my work~ I actually didn't really realise that I m enjoying my work (to a certain extent, of course)! Um.. perhaps i m at least glad that the dreadfulness at the beginning hasn't prolong. Hopefully i m easing along from now on....

No comments: