Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Accepted in Conference

Great News! I was overjoyed & extremely excited when i got the email that informed me about the acceptance of my abstract into the Diversity in Health Conference. Yes, it is definitely scaling a greater height in my career. It will be my first conference experience. Since i put in my abstract on the Chinese First Bites, i have been waiting eagerly for the news, half-heartedly, as i knew the chance of being accepted could be fairly minimal. I feel blessed & fortunate to have such an opportunity~

This acceptance indeed has highlighted again the advantage of being a Chinese. I have been appreciated as a bilingual worker since i entered the professional world as the organisation sees me as the tool to tap into the Chinese population. However, I did express my anger & frustration at times when I was being abused as a translator, and when the Chinese community has turned their back to me & given me a hard time. Persistance was the key & I am so glad that my hardwork is now being recognised. More importantly, i am given a chance to share this work & possibly facilitate some changes in the delivery of health in a diverse & culturally appropriate way.

No comments: